Located in southern Greenland, the town of Narsaq is located approximately 8km south west of the Kvanefjeld Project.

Narsaq is part of the Kujalleq municipality and currently consists of a population of approximately 1,550. It is located 43km from Narsarsuaq International Airport and has access to year round shipping.

Originally settled in the 1830's, the initial settlement was founded as a trading colony of the nearby town of Qaqortoq.

The establishment of a landing site in the bay adjacent to the settlement in the 1880’s stimulated scientific activity in the vicinity and by the early 1900’s geological mapping of the area had indicated the presence of extremely rare rocks and minerals.

The first major expansion of economic/industrial activity took place shortly after the end of the 2nd World War when people came from all over Greenland to work at the slaughterhouse and cod processing plant.

Mining at Kvanefjeld has been evaluated for over 50 years.

NARSAQ fishing

 

In 1955, the Danish Atomic Energy Commission, identified uranium enrichment at what is known today as the Kvanefjeld deposit. Over the next 30 years Narsaq was regularly the base for technical studies relating to Kvanefjeld. This included driving an 860m adit through the middle of the resource to source bulk sample material for trial mining.

Work on the Kvanefjeld deposit was abandoned in 1983 after a decision against the exploitation of uranium resources at Kvanefjeld.

In 5 field seasons between 2007 and 2011 Greenland Minerals has completed 60,000m of drilling and associated activities on the Kvanefjeld deposit. Since 2011 the Company has collected extensive environmental data collection and has completed economic, social and environmental studies relating to the project.